Are you currently experiencing a bad vaginal odor? If so, it may mean that there is an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria that give birth to the bad vaginal odor. Medically known as Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) and Vaginal Yeast Infections, vaginal odor can be embarrassing at times, although it shouldn’t be.
According to the American College of Gynecology and Obstetrics, female odor changes throughout a woman’s normal menstrual cycle. In the same way that feet or breath smell, the vagina has an odor due to the presence of bacteria.
However, this can become unusual and you may have a metallic or musty odor or even a fishy odor which may be due to the odor-causing foods that you frequently eat, or certain hormonal causes along with overgrowth of bacteria, as well as sexually transmitted diseases for which you should get treatment.
Home remedies to treat vaginal odor
Accompanied by yellow or white discharge, itching, burning, and irritation, vaginal odor can indicate a vaginal infection. If vaginal odor, however, does not indicate anything serious, it is possible to apply some home remedies for vaginal odor, to get rid of this bad smell.
Apple cider vinegar for vaginal odor
The vinegar apple cider is an ingredient that has been widely studied for its health benefits. Many studies have found apple cider vinegar helpful in treating vaginal infections as well, including vaginal odor.
Apple cider vinegar has fine anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties that are responsible for its healing nature. Also, apple cider vinegar balances the pH level in an effective way and that is one reason why you can use apple cider vinegar to get rid of your vaginal odor.
- 3 cups organic apple cider vinegar
- Warm enough water for a shallow bath
- Fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to this water.
- Now sit in this water for about 20-30 minutes.
- If you suffer from vaginal odor, you can apply this remedy 4-5 times a week, otherwise do it only once or twice a week.
Other ways to use apple cider vinegar for vaginal odors
If you don’t want to use vinegar in this way, you can use it in other ways.
- Dilute a bit of apple cider vinegar with water and rinse your vagina with this diluted solution.
- Dip a tampon in diluted apple cider vinegar solution and insert it into your vagina to keep it there for 30-60 minutes.
- Mix 1 ounce of vinegar with 8 ounces of water and drink this drink daily to balance the pH level of your body. This prevents the overgrowth of bacteria in your body, including the vagina.
Garlic remedies for vaginal odor
Garlic is a known natural antibacterial herb. Using garlic can help you get rid of the bad bacteria that cause vaginal odor. Garlic’s strong antifungal properties also help to eliminate large amounts of fungi that cause yeast infection resulting in mild vaginal odor.
Ways to use garlic for vaginal odor
- Eat 1-2 finely chopped raw garlic cloves with a glass of warm water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Insert a small to medium peeled garlic clove into the vagina and leave it for a couple of hours. Wash or take a bath after removing the garlic clove. Do this once or twice a week to get rid of vaginal odor.
- Include garlic in your dishes like salads and sauces.
- Crush some garlic cloves to make a paste. Apply this garlic paste on the vagina and leave it for about 10 minutes. Wash or take a bath after this.
Yogurt – natural remedy for vaginal odor
With all its health benefits, yogurt can also help you get rid of vaginal odor. Yogurt is naturally rich in lactobacilli, healthy bacteria that not only make your stomach free from any infection, but also reduce the yeast infection in the vagina. Lactobacillus also help in restoring the normal vaginal pH level that kills vaginal odor. So, eat plain, homemade unsweetened yogurt every day, up to two cups a day. You can also use yogurt in other ways to get rid of vaginal odor.
Consume yogurt daily
This is the best way to use yogurt not only for vaginal odor removal, but also for your overall health. Just be careful to consume a yogurt that is organic, unflavored, and unsweetened.
Sweetened yogurt can add to your problems since bacteria feed on sugar. It is better to consume plain yogurt. If you are going to buy probiotic yogurt, check if it contains lactobacilli, because these are the healthy bacteria in yogurt that will help you get rid of vaginal odor. Have at least 2 cups of yogurt every day.
Apply yogurt to the vagina
- ¼ – ½ cup Yogurt
- Cotton pad
- Take the yogurt in a cup or bowl.
- Dip the cotton pad in the yogurt and let it soak well.
- Now take the cotton pad with yogurt.
- Apply this yogurt to the vagina.
- Let it stay there for some time, wash with water and dry.
- Repeat these three to four times a day.
Alternatively, you can soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert into your vagina. Leave it there for some time before removing. Now wash under running water.
Caution: If you are allergic to dairy products, avoid drinking or using yogurt to treat vaginal odor.