Earache can be produced by various causes, such as infections, otitis, even acute toothache, but we can find home remedies ways to treat earaches efficiently.
Some home remedies that are the most popular to relieve ear pain may be the ones listed below, but it should be clarified that it is advisable to know the cause of it, since in some cases it may be due to an ear infection and if the conditions the patient’s physical symptoms are not favorable, the situation can be aggravated if the infection is not treated in time,
Table of Contents
Causes of earache.
Earache can be caused by a complication of a cold or the flu, when discharge builds up in the inner ear, and these home remedies help relieve pain and inflammation, however, if symptoms persist or worsen, it is advisable to consult an otolaryngologist.
Other possible causes of pain in the ear can be the presence of a viral or bacterial infection, accumulation of wax, accumulation of moisture, allergies, water trapped in the ear canal that has not come out.
Types of ear infection.
- Internal ear infection– Fluid in the ear canal can travel to the inner ear and cause an infection. Because this part of the ear is responsible for maintaining the balance of the body. The person may experience dizziness, vertigo, difficulty maintaining balance, and vision and hearing problems.
- External ear infection: Also called swimmer’s ear or otitis externa, it involves infection in the outer ear and ear canal.
- Middle ear infection: Also called otitis media, the middle part of the ear behind the eardrum is infected. The infection is usually accompanied by swelling.
Home remedies to remove earache.
The following remedies can be used as a primary solution to pain, however, homemade preparations are mentioned that can help you treat the discomfort in the ears if they have not worked.
- Put a warm compress on the ear region. It can be a clean gauze, a hot bottle or turning the hair dryer on to a warm temperature and direct it to the ear
- Place a cotton ball soaked in olive oil in the ear or soaked in mullein tea. When the person suspects that the cause of the earache is the presence of water inside the ear, what can be done is to cover the nose and try to expel the air, in this way the ears will uncover and the water can go out, to do this, tilt your head to the side where your ear hurts and take a few small jumps so that the water can flow out. This way you can make the earache go away.
Home remedy for sore ear with olive oil and garlic.
Olive oil and garlic are great for relieving earaches because the oil lubricates the ear canal and the warm temperature of the oil decreases pain.
- 1 teaspoon of almond oil or oil.
- 1 clove garlic.
Crush the garlic clove and put in a spoon with olive oil. Heat the spoon on the stove and put a few drops on a piece of cotton. Squeeze it to remove excess, and even with the hot temperature, place the cotton ball in the ear but without pressing.
Home remedy with mullein and oil.
This is an excellent home remedy for earache, as mullein has anti-inflammatory action and the oil will lubricate the ear canal.
- 1 tablespoon dried mullein leaves.
- Water 100 ml.
Dip the mullein leaves in water and let it rest for 30 minutes. Then you will have to filter it. Moisten a bit of cotton in this water and then in the olive oil, the procedure then is very similar to the home remedy with olive oil, you must squeeze it to remove the excess liquid and place it in the ear.
Sesame oil to relieve pain.
You must heat the sesame oil so that its temperature remains warm, then if you have a dropper it would be ideal so that in this way you can put a drop of this oil in the ear.
Chamomile with olive oil for the ear.
You must prepare chamomile put to macerate with the olive oil for at least 2 days, then apply this remedy with a cotton ball and leave it in the ear for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Treat earache in children.
When pain in the ears is combined with congestion, coughing, and sore throats, you can opt for these remedies to help alleviate ear inflammation in children as well as adults.
Tea tree oil.
Tea tree oil is a multifaceted essential oil that exhibits antimicrobial properties against a wide variety of bacteria, fungi, and even viruses. Along with the olive oil, it will also soothe any inflammation or irritation that may be present.
- A dropper.
- 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- A cotton swabs.
How does it apply:
Mix the oils and lightly heat the mixture. Put a few drops of the oil in the infected ear and let it stay there for a few minutes keeping your head tilted to one side.
Drain oil, melted wax, and other impurities, and then wipe clean with a cotton swab. You can also gently massage this oil mixture from the back of your ear.
Note: Any abnormal symptoms or ailments are always recommended to consult with a specialist before opting to treat them at home.