One of the not-so-secret benefits of sauerkraut is the boost it gives to the immune system. Packed with vitamins and minerals, sauerkraut has been used as an immune booster for centuries.
Sauerkraut as an immune stimulant.
Sauerkraut contains phytochemicals that are created during the fermentation process. Sauerkraut products stimulate the immune system leading to a decrease in a number of health problems.
The common cold, skin problems, weight gain, and contaminated blood are all fixed through healthy immune system function.
Sauerkraut as a cancer fighter.
The most recent evidence of sauerkraut’s status as a superfood is found in numerous studies on the properties of cruciferous wonder in fighting cancer. The results of a study concluded that sauerkraut is a cancer inhibitor.
The study found that fermentation of cabbage produces a substance called isothiocyanates, which prevents the growth of cancer, particularly in the breast, colon, lung and liver.
Sauerkraut and its wonderful benefits.
Although raw cabbage itself is normally rich in a compound called glucosinolates, the researchers found that during the fermentation process, enzymes are released and completely break down the compound by some breakdown products. Most of these products are cancer-fighting isothiocyanates.
The University of New Mexico published a study linking the consumption of fermented cabbage by adolescent girls with a lower risk of breast cancer Previous studies indicate that sauerkraut may reduce the risk for other forms of cancer, including the lung, colon, prostate and liver.
We’re finding that fermented cabbage may be healthier than raw or cooked cabbage, especially in fighting cancer.
Sauerkraut digestive aid.
Eating sauerkraut is a great way to protect the balance of bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. Sauerkraut is one of the few foods that contains the bacteria Lactobacilli plantarum.
- Planatarum, which is a very dominant variety of healthy bacteria that helps the digestive system in the following ways: stimulates the immune system by increasing antibodies that help fight infectious diseases by inhibiting pathogenic microorganisms such as E.coli, salmonella and unhealthy candida (yeast) overgrowth, creating antioxidants that scavenge free radicals that are precursors to cancer.
- Sauerkraut neutralizes antinutrients found in many foods such as phytic acid found in all grains, and soybean trypsin inhibitors generate new nutrients such as omega 3 fatty acids.
- These various properties of sauerkraut are the best scientific reasons given for what has been known to loyal users for millennia.
- Many sources say that fermented raw foods are beneficial for the digestive system, as they increase the healthy flora in the intestinal tract or create the kind of environment for them to flourish.
- Sauerkraut and its juice are traditional remedies for constipation. Fermentation actually increases the nutrient values in cabbage, especially vitamin C.
Benefits of fermented cabbage.
The benefits of sauerkraut and its juice have been recognized for generations. In some families in southern Germany, children are fed raw sauerkraut twice a week to keep their intestines healthy.
Today it is thought that these benefits may be related to a high proportion of lactic acid in sauerkraut and fermented cabbage juice that naturally supports digestive processes, maintains intestinal flora and increases feelings of well-being.