Keloids are scars that are enlarged due to abnormal growth of fibrous tissue. Skin lesions from acne, minor burns, stings, cuts, or scratches can leave scars.
Keloids form over time, when an excessive amount of collagen grows in the scars. They are generally painless, but can sometimes itch.
Despite the fact that keloids are not a health problem, many people do not like to have these ugly scars enlarged. Some people choose surgery, injections, or laser treatment to remove them. Instead of paying for expensive treatments, there are some simple natural remedies that you can use to get rid of keloids at home for a small cost.
Home remedies for keloids
Here are the top 10 home remedies to remove keloid marks.
1. Apple cider vinegar
A good home remedy for treating keloids is apple cider vinegar, as it helps to minimize the size and redness of the scar.
Apply apple cider vinegar directly to the affected area and massage gently so that the vinegar is well absorbed by the skin.
Let it dry for a few minutes, and then repeat the process in order to speed up the healing.
Do this several times a day for maximum results and continue this treatment for four to five weeks.
If the apple cider vinegar causes any skin irritation, it can be diluted with water. You can also use pure tea tree oil.
2. Baking soda
Baking soda acts as an abrasive agent and helps exfoliate the skin. It can also be used successfully to administer keloids.
- Mix one part of baking soda with three parts of hydrogen peroxide to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste directly to the affected area to reduce inflammation and speed up the healing process.
- Do these three to four times a day depending on the severity of the scar.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains antioxidants and vitamin C that are very useful in treating different types of scars, including keloids. After a few weeks of using this remedy, you should see a significant improvement in the color, texture, appearance and flexibility of the scar.
- Extract the juice of a fresh lemon and apply it on the affected area of the skin.
- Leave on for half an hour, and then wash the area with warm water.
- Repeat the process at least once a day.
The same aspirin that is taken for headaches and other health problems can also be used to treat keloids, as it helps reduce the size and appearance of the scar.
- Crush three or four aspirin tablets and add a small amount of water to make a smooth, thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the scar, allow it to dry completely and then rinse by gently rubbing the area with water.
- Pat the area dry and then apply some olive oil or tea tree oil.
- Do this every day until the keloid is gone.
5. Aloe Vera
The aloe vera is very good for the skin and can be used in the treatment of keloids. This will help reduce inflammation, keep skin well hydrated, and heal damaged skin. It also helps prevent skin infections.
- Clean the scarred area very well with warm water.
- Apply the fresh aloe vera gel on the scars twice a day.
6. Sandalwood and rose water
Sandalwood has many skin-regenerating properties and rose water is a natural skin toner. Used together they can help prevent or reduce and lighten keloids.
- Make a thick paste of sandalwood powder and rose water.
- Clean the scar with water and apply the paste before going to bed. In the morning, wash the area well with warm water.
- Do this periodically for a month or two.
7. Honey from bees
The honey is a natural moisturizer that heals and moisturizes the skin. This is the reason why honey is highly recommended for treating keloids. Regular application of honey in a few weeks can solve the problem of keloids.
Apply fresh honey to the scar and gently massage the area to improve blood circulation and prevent the accumulation of dead skin cells.
For best results, use Tualang honey, which is made by bees from the Tualang tree. This particular honey can decrease the number of proliferated cells in keloids, thus reducing the appearance of these scars.
Garlic prevents the proliferation of excessive fibroblasts that can lead to keloids, making it a good home treatment for these types of scars.
- Apply garlic oil directly on the scar.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and then wash the area well.
If garlic oil is not available, you can use crushed garlic cloves. If garlic oil or crushed cloves cause burning or irritation, immediately wash the area with lukewarm water.