Commercial hand sanitizers can do more harm than good, as they are full of toxic chemicals, as well as being hard to come by in these pandemic days. Chemicals can be absorbed through the skin and cause serious health effects.
How to make an all-natural hand sanitizer
The most harmful ingredients to look out for include Triclosan, fragrance, parabens, phthalates, and formaldehyde, all of which have been labeled as possible carcinogens. There’s also the issue of alcohol-containing hand sanitizers, if you’re looking for one that’s alcohol-free, this recipe is a great solution.
Why this disinfectant works:
The main ingredient in this natural disinfectant that helps fight bacteria and viruses is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is a powerful antiseptic and that is why it only requires a few drops. It’s antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral, and it’s what makes it a great natural alternative to alcohol-based sanitizers. Tea tree oil also acts as a natural preservative, allowing this blend to last for at least several weeks.
- 8 tablespoons of Aloe Vera Gel you can learn how to make Aloe Vera Gel.
- 16 drops of tea tree oil.
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Optional: Add a few drops of other essential oils such as thyme, lemon, or orange.
Preparing our natural hand sanitizer
- Mix all the ingredients in a plate.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle or spray bottle to use on the go.
- Shake well before applying.
* This recipe is for a small batch, which is just the right size for a small container to go anywhere. You can double the amounts for a larger amount.