According to the function, the body hair covers sensitive areas of external damage. Therefore, the hair in various parts of the body, rather serves a beneficial function. However, many people find underarm hair, for example, aesthetically distracting, and choose to remove it permanently whenever possible. Find in this article, some natural ways to do it, if your armpits are candidates for it.
Underarm and facial hair tend to be a nuisance especially for women, and there are various permanent and temporary removal methods that beauty salons use today.
However, hair removal, especially in the armpits, can be done at home. Not only is it more affordable, but it can also be more natural and therefore less toxic.
Table of Contents
Traditional methods for removing underarm hair
For years, there have been treatments used to remove underarm hair, especially for women. Some treatments are not painful, however, without permanent effects, while others are more painful, but with longer-lasting effects.
Among the most frequently performed treatments for underarm hair removal are:
Shaving – Shaving is the simplest, easiest, and most affordable technique for underarm waxing. This method will not give a long-lasting effect and could cause a rash in response to skin irritation caused by the razor.
However, store bought products that can be combined with shaving are capable of providing more long-term effects.
Tweezing – Compared to shaving, tweezing gives a more permanent underarm hair removal effect. While the effects of shaving on hair growth only last 2 to 3 days, the effects of hair removal, a result of tweezing, last a little longer, which is 4 to 5 days.
However, tweezing is also more painful than shaving and more effective for facial hair than underarm hair, especially if it is thick, thereby causing the potential for hair to bury.
Waxing- Waxing is done by applying hot wax to the desired areas and removing it in the opposite direction to the direction of hair growth. This technique gives a semi-permanent effect and is capable of temporarily removing hair for up to three weeks.
Home remedies to remove underarm hair permanently
Removing unwanted hair at home could be a very good decision, since you may decide which ingredients to use, and which are the best for your skin. Some home remedies are helpful for permanent underarm removal, which can be alternatives to shaving or other high-cost salon treatments. Read on for some effective remedies.
Note: the following home remedies work best on thin armpit hair.
Turmeric paste to remove underarm hair
Women since ancient times have used turmeric to loosen hair follicles, allowing for easy hair removal, which is painless but fairly permanent. To mimic this heritage, you need:
- ½ cup turmeric powder
- Rose water, can be substituted for organic milk
- Warm water
- A towel
Follow these instructions to do hair removal with a turmeric paste:
- Add all the ingredients to form a thick turmeric paste.
- Apply the well-mixed paste to the armpit and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash with a towel that has been soaked in warm water.
- Dry and repeat the treatment to loosen the hair follicles and therefore remove the hair.
Remove armpit hair with honey and lemon
Honey has been used for various facial treatments. This natural ingredient is helpful in removing unwanted hair if applied regularly. To make the mixture, you need:
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 3 drops of lemon juice
- Warm water
- A towel
The instructions are as follows:
- Mix the lemon juice and honey well.
- Apply the mixture on the desired areas of the armpits.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water or wash it off with a damp towel.
- Pat dry and repeat the treatment 2-3 times a week for 4 continuous weeks to permanently remove hair.
Homemade sugar wax
This is a natural remedy for more permanent hair removal. Salon waxing costs a lot of money, and this can be a more pocket-friendly alternative. Some ingredients, surely you already have them in your kitchen which will cover a low cost but a very effective wax:
- 3 cups of sugar
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
To prepare the wax, here are the instructions:
- Put the sugar in a pan and pour the water into it.
- Cook the mixture until all the sugar dissolves, creating the caramel color of brown.
- Add the lemon juice and keep stirring the mixture until you get a wax solution. This will take approximately 20 minutes.
- Pour the wax into a heat-resistant container and let it cool.
To apply the sugar wax, use these methods:
- Wash the application area with lukewarm water and towel dry.
- Spread the wax on that area in the direction of hair growth using a spatula.
- Put a cotton cloth or waxing strips on the applied wax and press gently.
- Remove the strip in the opposite direction of hair growth. Do this very quickly to minimize pain and maximize the effect on the treated areas.
- Apply coconut oil to the treated area to soothe. Natural aloe vera will be best to soothe the pores on your skin.
This method has some principles similar to that of sugar wax. However, the peel-off gelatin mask causes less pain than sugar waxing. Some required ingredients include:
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cucumber
- unflavored gelatin
- 1 bag of green tea
- ¼ of aloe vera gel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Prepare the mask by following these instructions:
- Grind the cucumber with a food processor and strain the juice.
- Prepare the green tea in a separate container.
- Add the gelatin, cucumber juice, and aloe vera gel to the tea and mix well until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Let stand until cool.
To apply the mask, use the following instructions:
- Clean the areas to be treated with warm water and dry with a towel.
- Apply the jelly mask to the armpits, it is better to apply it to each of the armpits in one go, and keep them elevated for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the mask once dry and apply the moisturizing cream to the treated area.
Sugary paste to remove armpit hair
The use of sugar has been one of the most popular methods of removing unwanted hair. It can be done at home with ease and gives much better effects on the skin compared to waxing. The sugar paste is aimed at the skin cells and therefore it will not reduce the elasticity of the skin even and it is done frequently. To make the pasta, you need:
- 2 cups unrefined organic sugar
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- ¼ cup of water
To make the pasta, follow these steps:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and put it on a small flame over low heat.
- Do this for 25 minutes to make sure the mixture has the right consistency and isn’t too sticky.
- After 25 minutes, the mixture will turn a dark amber color. Remove from heat and let cool.
To use the sugar paste, here are the instructions:
- Thoroughly cleanse the skin.
- Apply a light coat of the paste to make sure it grips the hair well and doesn’t stick to the skin too much.
- Scoop a ball of pasta out of the bowl by hand.
- Roll the pasta into a ball using little pressure with your bare hands.
- Apply the paste on the skin pointed in the opposite direction of hair growth firmly, allowing it to spread.
- Once the pressure is finished, remove the paste following the direction of hair growth. It is important because otherwise the follicles will break, causing a shorter period of effect.
- If you remove little hair, you can apply that paste again in the same area for one or two times, but no more than that. The dough ball can be re-molded and therefore reapplied a couple of times before being thrown away.
Tips on how to remove underarm hair at home:
Before applying any ingredients to treat underarm hair, first apply a small part of them to a visible area to test the skin reaction.
Allow the cooked mixture to cool completely before applying it to the skin, in order to avoid burning the skin.
Some ingredients may work instantly, while others may need more frequent applications. Have the treatment consistently to target the desired effects.
When preparing the mixture to be heated, use a heavy saucepan to ensure that it is well cooked. Set the stove flame to the smallest level to prevent the mixture from burning on the bottom, leaving the top layer uncooked.
Apply coconut oil or a mild moisturizer each time you are done removing underarm hair. Or if you prefer, use aloe vera slices and apply the gel on the treated areas to soothe the skin and reduce the redness of the skin irritation.