Many factors can contribute to the formation of wounds on the body, and the dreaded scars can remain there. However, thanks to the benefits of onions and other natural ingredients, scars can be treated and the skin looks healthy and rejuvenated.
Burns, surgery, acne, or other skin lesions can cause scarring. Scar formation is a natural process that occurs in the healing of injured tissue. A scar is different from the surrounding skin in its function and appearance.
The onion acts on the skin providing its benefits to regenerate the tissue, the onion extract applied topically can help us with the increase of collagen in the area to be treated, improving the appearance of the scar.
Initially, the affected skin turns a reddish color. Ideally, at the end of the healing process, only a pale outline can be seen. But often there are unsightly scars that do not accompany throughout life.
Scars can be unsightly, but they can also be limiting to movement. Clearly, scars are often particularly disturbing on visible parts of the body.
There are successful methods in scar treatment that support the wound healing process and therefore help improve the appearance of existing or developing scars.
What influences the appearance of a scar?
Various factors, such as age, skin type, hereditary factors, scar location, and wound infection affect the development and appearance of a scar and its permanence.
- Age: The older a person is, the slower their wound will heal. In children or younger people, on the other hand, the skin tends to overreact, producing more connective tissue than necessary. This results in larger and thicker scars.
- Hereditary factors and skin type: A predisposition to visible scars can also be hereditary.
- Scar Location: Scars that are on or near the shoulder, back, and joints are subject to increased stress. As a result, they tend to be stronger or more visible.
- Wound Infections: Wound infections or inflammation increase the likelihood of visible scars. In scar tissue, hair, sebum, or sweat glands do not re-form because scar tissue has fewer elastic fibers (collagen) than normal skin, and this can lead to shrinkage and hardening of the affected area.
Once we understand what the formation of scars consists of, it is time to mention what are the home remedies to treat them, in this case, the use of onion extract to erase scars. It is important to note that treatment can only begin when the wound edges are completely closed or the threads have been removed (in the case of a stitched wound).
How to prepare onion extract for scars
To improve the results, the onion extract should be applied at least once a day on the scars in a pure form, or used in a mixture with a moisturizer that you are using.
If your skin is sensitive you should take precautions when using this product, as it can further sensitize the skin causing contact dermatitis or eczema. We recommend prudence and consult with a specialist if there is the slightest doubt, this information is for informational purposes only and is not intended to supplant the opinion of a specialist.
It is very simple to make the onion extract and it is also inexpensive, you will need:
- a cutting board and knife,
- neutral soap (look for one that is friendly to the environment),
- coffee filters,
- distilled water,
- salt and two medium containers.
- Mix 3 grams of salt with 10 grams of neutral soap. Cut the onion into small uniform pieces and place in one of the containers, add the salt and soap mixture and stir. Place in a water bath for 15 minutes,
- transfer to an ice water bath for five minutes and stir constantly. Blend for 5 seconds. Use the coffee filter to strain the mixture over the second container. The foam from the mixture will remain inside the filter while the onion extract will fall into the container.
This treatment is administered for several weeks, at least 2 times a day, applied directly to the affected skin and gently massaged. Due to the properties of onion extract, the scar loses its circumference, becomes paler and less noticeable.