The abdominal distension is a general term used to refer to the swelling of the abdomen. When the term is used in this way, a number of different diseases and conditions can cause distention of the abdomen. These conditions may be related to digestion, such as lactose malabsorption or intolerance, or to disturbances in bowel function, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or constipation. We will share with you in this article, a recipe for a very effective natural laxative to relieve your symptoms in an effective way.
What is abdominal distention
Bloating is another term that is sometimes used to refer to a bloated belly. Consuming foods rich in fiber can lead to intestinal gas and bloating of the abdomen. Less commonly, ovarian cysts or other types of tumors can cause a distended abdomen. The accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity, known as ascites, can cause the appearance of distention. Ascites has a number of causes, including cirrhosis of the liver.
A distended stomach (abdomen) may be associated with other symptoms, such as belching, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, or abdominal pain.
Bloating of the abdomen from constipation
Being constipated means that your bowel movements are difficult or happen less often than normal. Almost everyone has it at some point in life, and it is usually not serious. Still, you’ll feel a lot better when the system is back up and running.
The normal length of time for bowel movements varies greatly from person to person. Some people have a bowel movement three times a day. Others have only once or twice a week.
Having more than three or more days without a bowel movement is usually too long. After three days, the stool becomes more difficult to pass.
Symptoms of constipation
- Few bowel movements
- Difficulty having a bowel movement (straining)
- Hard or small stools
- Feeling that not everything worked out
- Bloating or abdominal pain
Causes of constipation
- Antacid medications that contain calcium or aluminum
- Changes in your usual diet or activity
- Colon cancer
- Eat a lot of dairy products
- Eating disorders
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Neurological diseases such as Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis
- Not be active
- Not enough water or fiber in your diet
- Overuse of laxatives (over time, this weakens the muscles of the intestine)
- The pregnancy
- Problems with the nerves and muscles in the digestive system
- Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement, which some people do because of hemorrhoids
- Some medications (especially strong pain medications like narcotics, antidepressants, or iron pills)
What should I do if I have a distended abdomen due to constipation?
The most important thing before getting down to work to relieve distention of the abdomen, is to know the causes of constipation and rule out causes that are of care. For that you should consult with your specialist. Once you have cleared up doubts and your bloating due to constipation is not serious, you can try natural methods at home.
For example, perform the following steps daily and try this recipe for a natural laxative that we share below and which is really effective in relieving bloating symptoms.
- Drink two to four glasses of water a day (unless your doctor has directed you to limit fluids for another health reason).
- Try hot liquids, especially in the morning.
- Add fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Eat prunes and bran cereals.
- If necessary, use a mild stool softener such as magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia). Don’t use laxatives for more than two weeks without calling your doctor. Overuse of laxatives can make your symptoms worse.
Natural laxative to relieve abdominal distention
- 1 cup of dates
- 1 cup of prunes
- 5 cups of boiling water
- To make this natural laxative, you need to cut the prunes and dates into small pieces. Then add them to the boiling water and simmer until the mixture is thick and the raisins and dates have dissolved.
- You have to consume 1 tablespoon in the morning and you can consume it along with your breakfast, a bowl of cereal, a glass of yogurt, or whatever you want.
- People of all ages can consume this mixture.
Why This Natural Laxative Works to Relieve Bloating
Prunes are full of fiber and are abundant in sorbitol, known as a natural sugar that can help loosen stools, thus facilitating relief from constipation and bloating very quickly.
Note: If you don’t prefer this remedy, you can also put dried plums in water and let them sit overnight. It can be drunk in the morning. This will loosen the stool, which helps produce a bowel movement.
Many experts claim that more water is stored in the stool due to the capacity of the fiber, which makes the waste larger, softer, and can pass easily through the intestines.
You need to pay attention and not ignore if you see blood in your stools or have abdominal pain – if so, you need to visit your doctor. Also, if you are having this health problem, you need to include some new habits in your lifestyle such as eating healthy foods, drinking large amounts of water, sleeping more, avoiding alcohol, etc.