At any time of the year, it is possible for children to contract lice and nits and this is not easy to eradicate many times. But even more so during the school season is when the presence of lice becomes a very serious problem for many parents, who cannot find a definitive solution. For this reason, below we will show you the alternatives with these natural and home remedies that can help you eliminate lice permanently.
Natural remedies to remove lice and nits
To treat lice and nits, there are times when all you have to do is use a lice comb to comb the affected person’s hair every morning and night for three weeks. You can combine the hairstyle with some easy to do recipes, treatments and home remedies such as the following:
Recipe for lice with coconut oil
- Coconut oil
- Pure and organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Rinse the hair with vinegar, do not wash it, leave it until it dries.
- Put the coconut oil on the hair, making sure to get full coverage. Cover hair with a shower cap or hair wrap and leave it on all day. It will take a couple of hours for the coconut oil to suffocate and kill the lice.
- Comb your hair to get as many eggs and lice as possible (a good lice comb is always best).
- Wash with shampoo. You will find that coconut oil works wonders for your hair.
Recipe for lice with white vinegar
- Louse comb
- White vinegar
- Shower cap or plastic bags
- A couple of towels
- With the mouthwash wash your child’s head. If it is too spicy, reduce with a little water. Hair must be completely wet.
- Using a plastic bag, wrap the hair or cover it with a shower cap. Leave it for 60 minutes.
- Then remove the shower cap / plastic bag.
- The next step is to wash the hair with the vinegar and then cover it with a bag / cap for an additional 60 minutes.
- Finally, remove the cap or bag and with a normal shampoo wash the hair.
- Take a lice comb and comb the hair. The vinegar will remove the lice eggs from your hair.
- The strong smell of Listerine will keep them away because lice can’t really stand the smell of spearmint and will therefore escape.
- You can also add Listerine to a spray bottle and spray your child’s hair before going to school. The complete treatment will take a few hours.
Lice treatment with essential oils
- tea tree oil
- lavender oil
- neem oil
- clove oil
- eucalyptus oil
- anise oil
- cinnamon leaf oil
- red thyme oil
- peppermint oil
- nutmeg oil
Mix 2 ounces of olive oil with 15 to 20 drops of essential oil. Apply to the scalp using cotton balls.
Leave this mixture on the scalp and hair overnight, at least 12 hours. Alternatively, mix the 15 to 20 drops of essential oil in 4 ounces of rubbing alcohol. Place the mixture in a spray bottle and moisturize your hair with it, leaving it for 12 hours.
Homemade preparations to eradicate lice and nits
Mayonnaise is also beneficial in eliminating lice. All you have to do is cover the entire head with mayonnaise, put on a plastic cap and leave for a few hours. Mayonnaise has this property because it kills lice by preventing oxygen from reaching them. In this way they are submerged in the creamy consistency without being able to go out to the elements and die.
Prepare a mixture of one liter of water with a large handful of rue. Bring it to a boil and let it cool. Apply to the entire head, massaging vigorously and soaking the entire scalp and hair. Cover with a plastic cap for a few hours.
Make a mixture (2 tablespoons) of green anise with a liter of water. After shampooing your hair, apply this lotion to your hair and do not rinse.