Not sure how the pancreas works? Do you want to know what diseases it can cause you? Here we tell you about it and show you how you should take care of the pancreas.
We have all heard of the pancreas, but most of us would not know what functions it performs in our body. Less can we know if we should pay more attention to it. Many people really do not know what it is for and how to care for the pancreas.
In this article we explain what its functions are, how to know if it needs care. In addition to what foods and supplements will help you keep it balanced.
Table of Contents
What is the pancreas for?
The pancreas is a gland located in the abdomen, behind the stomach, and in front of the spine. It has two fundamental functions:
- It secretes digestive enzymes that pass into the small intestine. This is its main function and it is essential to digest well, especially fats and proteins.
- It produces three types of hormones that pass into the blood: insulin, which regulates our energy, glucagon and somatostatin. All three are related to each other and must be in balance to maintain correct blood sugar levels.
How should we care for the pancreas?
Diseases that can be related to the pancreas are pancreatitis, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, and pancreatic cancer. However, long before suffering from any of them, it may not be working quite well.
Therefore, we must always take care of the pancreas. We give you some clues so you can know if you should pay special attention to it:
- The state of the pancreas is reflected in the lips, appetite and taste. Therefore, if you notice alterations in any of these three, you must take action. For example, if you habitually need to eat sweet things, you fill up fast and feel hungry again in a short period of time.
- Another sign that we must take into account to take care of the pancreas is suffering from digestive problems and chronic constipation. They can be related to other organs, but also to the pancreas.
- If you are a thin person but have a slightly bulging belly for no apparent reason, there could be a pancreatic deficiency.
The best way to take care of the pancreas and prevent diseases is to include certain foods in our daily diet. Especially if we have a history of relatives who have suffered from pancreatic diseases.
These foods have the property of regulating sugar levels naturally. This greatly facilitates the work of the pancreas.
- Pea: This delicious legume is known to be a vegetable insulin, so it cannot be missing from your diet. In this study all the benefits it brings in this regard are pointed out.
- Brewer’s yeast: Said to be beneficial for the pancreas and regulates the nervous system. In addition, it is a great ally in matters of beauty of hair, skin and nails.
- Stevia: This totally natural and calorie-free sweetener allows us to sweeten in a healthy way. However, in order for it to regulate sugar levels we must take it in its pure, unrefined state.
- Cinnamon: This spice is often used in conjunction withstevia in the treatment of diabetes, as noted in this research published in the Cochrane database of systematic reviews. We can use it both to accompany fruits, yogurts and all kinds of desserts, as well as to add it to meats and other stews.
Taking care of the emotional ones is taking care of the pancreas
The emotional and the physical part are always connected. Pancreatic imbalance has long been associated with obsessiveness and repetitive ideas. These attitudes are said to help stagnate the energy of the pancreas.
However, this is not proven. What is a fact is that you must take care of your stress levels, since it affects your health? In addition to consuming the foods that we have discussed daily; it is also essential to take care of your emotions.
Now that you know more about the pancreas and its functions, take these tips to make small changes that allow you to take care of it.
Keep in mind that if you have symptoms of pancreatic diseases, you should visit your doctor. Finally, remember that prevention is the best treatment to take care of the pancreas.