Colon cleansing can be carried out naturally and with the addition of some foods that we surely have at home, which are among the healthiest.
The colon is one of the organs of our body that is a part of our digestive system that eliminates waste and toxins from our body. It also absorbs water and essential sodium (salt) in order to maintain the body’s electrolyte balance. Although, the bowel movement regulates all the waste in our body, the colon still has to take an important role in the elimination of waste from the body that it operates.
However, sometimes it does not work properly as a result of which certain wastes and toxins cling to the walls of our colon. This leads to various health problems, including the common cold, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, headaches, allergies, indigestion, joint pains, vision problems, memory loss, as well as stress. If we are not careful to clean the colon properly, it can even lead to serious diseases, such as liver and kidney disease.
Natural remedies to cleanse the colon
There is nothing more complex to be understood referring to colon cleansing. The term itself explains what it means – to cleanse the colon. Elaborate colon cleansing by removing trapped waste and toxins. There are many treatments available for colon cleansing, ranging from medications to non-surgical methods like enemas, etc. There are also home and natural herbal remedies that are safe with no side effects.
1. Water: the magic potion
Water is the first and the basic requirement for life and it is also for colon cleansing. We have to drink water throughout the day to stay hydrated and to keep our body organs working properly. Therefore, do not deprive your colon, or for that matter any organ in your body, of water. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day. More when you are additionally active exercising and the like. Drink water when you wake up. If possible, drink warm water with lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey first thing in the morning. This detoxifies the body and accelerates metabolism, as well as helps in better evacuation intestinal waste, which is the requirement for a healthy colon. Thereafter, drink water regularly throughout the day.
Drinking enough water also stimulates the natural peristaltic action that causes the colon to begin to function normally. Along with water, you can also drink other natural liquids (not soda), such as naturally vitamin water, natural fruit and vegetable juices, lemon juice, coconut water, etc.
2. Apple: doctor of nature
How many times have you heard, “Eating an apple a day keeps the doctor away” Well this is very true, the apple does wonders for colon cleansing too. Fresh apples, as well as apple juice, can all cleanse the colon for the happiness of your health.
Drink lots of apple juice
- Start the day immediately with a glass of apple juice, best made with fresh apples just before drinking.
- After this first glass of apple juice, a full glass of water.
- Drink apple juice at least three to four times a day.
When you drink this amount of apple juice and at this frequency, it encourages bowel movements and even breaks down toxins. Obviously, you are not going to do this every day, but sure do it when you feel low health and are experiencing all those conditions that you can’t find any reason for.
If you get bored with apple juice, drink some other juice, for example prune juice or lemon juice. You can even add two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to a glass of apple juice to alter its flavor. The lemon in apple juice also thins the mucosa in the intestine. The crucial point is to have more juices, much of it should be apple juice and the least, solid foods.
Diet with apples for three days
If your condition is worse than a simple uncomfortable feeling, it is perhaps due to toxins stored in the colon, you may also want to go on a diet or apple cure for a minimum of three days. If so:
- The diet is about eating only apples and nothing else.
- Maybe a little extra virgin olive oil (about ½ cup) at bedtime.
- You can eat apples of all varieties, whole or chunks or sliced, peeled or with the skin, even boiled (although it is not preferable).
- Chew apples properly, slowly and drink lots of water too, but not when eating apples.
- Drink water half an hour before and after eating apples.
- After going on this apple diet for three days, don’t start eating anything.
- Start with salads and other fruits on the fourth day, light foods and gradually work your way up to heavier foods, but don’t forget to include a lot of fiber in your diet.
One word of warning.
Don’t go with the apple diet every seven days or whenever you want to detoxify the colon. This is a rigorous regimen. Consult with your doctor first before going with this apple diet for colon cleansing and do not do it more than once in a month and a half.
3. Cleanse the colon with sea salt, but cautiously
If you suffer from high blood pressure or have some medical conditions related to the heart, it is best to avoid this remedy for colon cleansing. Even if you do, please consult your doctor.
First of all, you should understand that you should have a full day to yourself experimenting with this remedy, and you should take a break after this salt water treatment. Here is the methodology:
- Boil a glass of water after getting up in the morning.
- Add a tablespoon of sea salt to it and let it boil for a few more seconds.
- Now let it cool down to a degree where it is not hot enough to drink (like tea or coffee).
- Now drink slowly.
- As you slowly drink this salty water, you may feel a slight headache or nausea. After drinking the sea salt water, lie down.
- If you feel like it, gently massage the stomach.
- At some point you will feel the need to evacuate. All toxins are ready to leave your body.
- You may have to go to the bathroom a few times after taking this salt water solution.
- Rest the next day.
- Drink a large amount of normal purified water during the day. You can also drink fresh fruit juices or other natural drinks. If you feel like it, you can also have some homemade sports drink. These are essential to compensate for the loss of minerals, water and electrolytes due to the salt water that you have taken in the morning.
- Eat light meals throughout the day. Some steamed vegetable soup are good options after having a salty water enema to cleanse the colon.
Note that colon cleansing is not recommended for people suffering from weakness such as convalescence after a serious illness. You should wait a couple of weeks after your illness or until the moment when your weakness is gone. Then you just have to clean the colon by adopting any of the remedies for it.
4. Aryuvedic herbal remedy for colon cleansing
Triphala is an amazing herbal remedy recommended by Ayurveda. Triphala is made with two terms, Tri means three and Phala means fruits. It is a fine natural laxative made up of three ingredients- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Chebulic myrobalan) and Bhibitaki (Beleric myrobalan). The bioflavonoids, vitamin C, linoleic oil, and phospholipids in triphala promote bowel movements that lead to the removal of toxic materials from the body. As it is also highly nutritious, it is itself capable of maintaining crucial body stores without depleting them while removing toxins from the body.
Triphala can be easily found in Ayurveda health stores and even online by searching Ayurveda product stores. You simply mix a tablespoon of the triphala in a glass of water and take it in the morning to allow it to work throughout the day.
5. Fruits and vegetables high in fiber to cleanse the colon every day
Vegetables, although they don’t sound like a remedy, are very effective in cleansing the colon without any special effort. The fibers of the vegetables help to keep the stools soft and thus improve the intestinal movement avoiding constipation. Fiber-rich vegetables and fruits also encourage your body to expel waste daily and keep your colon clean in a natural way. Make it a habit to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Leafy and fibrous vegetables like spinach, broccoli, peas, artichokes, etc. they are good for the purpose of colon cleansing. Fruits like raspberries, apples, pears, plums, etc. are good too. Therefore, be a fan of vegetables and fruits and stay away from the toxins that your colon can trap in the absence of said food.