A puffy face or facial swelling is medically known as facial edema. It is generally caused by fluid retention, which in turn is caused by inadequate fluid intake, excessive alcohol consumption, stress, and a high-salt diet.
Table of Contents
Causes of a puffy face
In addition to all that, reactions to certain medications (corticosteroids, aspirin, glucocorticoids, diuretics, asthma medication, etc.) and obesity in general can also lead to a puffy face. Poor blood circulation can also lead to facial swelling and sagging facial features.
Conditions like sinusitis, throat infection, tooth abscess, conjunctivitis, thyroid problem, kidney disease, pre-eclampsia during pregnancy, etc., can cause a swollen face. Therefore, to get rid of this problem effectively, it is essential to analyze the real cause.
Facial swelling caused by allergic reactions should not be ignored at all. On the other hand, in case it is due to the above-mentioned conditions, then the swelling should disappear when it undergoes proper treatment.
Natural remedies for puffy face
Below are 8 solutions to alleviate facial swelling
- Dip a cloth in ice water or wrap two or three ice cubes in it.
- Put this cold compress on the swollen face.
- Leave it to act for a few minutes.
Those who are prone to a puffy face, especially after sleeping, should splash cold water on their face when they get up in the morning.
- Lubricate the face with oil or a moisturizer, it can be olive oil or facial massage oil.
- Gently massage your face with your fingers.
- Start from the forehead and gradually the area under the eyes, cheeks, jaw and neck.
- Repeat the massage almost 20 to 25 times.
This lymphatic drainage massage is effective in getting rid of facial swelling by drawing excess fluid to the lymph nodes in the neck and upper chest.
- Press your middle fingers into the deepest hollow of your cheeks (where the cheekbone and jaw meet).
- Massage the area firmly in a circular motion for 30 seconds.
- Repeat several times a day.
With this system, a swollen face is relieved, stimulating the lymphatic system and improving blood circulation.
Cucumber and lemon juice
- Take six to eight slices of cucumber.
- Soak in lemon juice (for oily skin) almond milk (for dry skin), and put it in the fridge for half an hour.
- Put these cuts on the face.
- Leave on for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash your face with cold water.
This helps reduce the redness and puffiness on your face. You can use this remedy almost daily. Alternatively, simply grate or mix half a cucumber, squeeze its juice, and apply to the face. Cucumber is often used to remove puffy eyes and dark circles as well.
- Mix two tablespoons of finely ground coffee, two tablespoons of cocoa powder, and one tablespoon of honey in three tablespoons of plain yogurt.
- Apply it on your face.
- Exfoliate and wash after 15-20 minutes.
This “Mocha Frappuccino” face mask helps reduce facial swelling. Plus, it has immense anti-aging benefits.
If you don’t have cocoa powder, then you can simply use a mixture of coffee grounds and honey. Do not use this mask too often. Once or twice a week should be enough.
Green tea bags
- Put a green tea bag in about eight ounces of hot water for three to four minutes.
- Remove the tea bag from the water and let it cool.
- Place the tea bag on the swollen areas of your face for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
It is a perfect solution for all skin types.
- Beat two egg whites to make it organic.
- Set the mixture aside for a few minutes.
- Put it on your face and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash with cold water.
- Follow up with your regular cleanser.
In addition to reducing swelling and facial redness, it should help remove excess oil on your face, which helps eliminate pimples and blackheads.
Mash up some strawberries.
Mix two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of olive oil in it.
Apply it on your face.
Wash off after 10-15 minutes.
It is good for the puffy face and eyes.
Tips to prevent a puffy face
- As facial swelling is primarily attributed to water retention, drinking plenty of water and fluids throughout the day is essential. Also, limit salt intake, as it makes your body retain water.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic and caffeinated beverages.
- Sometimes a puffy face is the result of obesity in general. In such cases, it is advisable to control your weight through a healthy diet, including regular physical activity and exercise in your routine.