If you suffer from respiratory problems, colds and coughs, with the preparation of this handmade herbal syrup you can improve the respiratory tract and expel phlegm in a totally natural way.
Herbal cough and cold syrup
The following ingredients, mostly herbs, are recognized for their effects to treat respiratory problems, as well as for their properties to stimulate the immune system, helping the body to have greater defenses. It can also be used to relieve flu symptoms.
Gather the ingredients:
- 1/4 cup of dried echinacea corn.
- 1/4 cup of dried licorice root.
- 1/4 cup freshly grated ginger root (to taste).
- 1/4 gallon of water.
- 1 cup of pure honey.
- Add the dried herbs, ginger, and a quart of water to the pot. Cook over low heat until the liquid is reduced to 1 liter.
- Strain the herbs and add 1 cup of honey to the liquid.
- You should simmer enough to achieve a good mixture.
- Bottle, label and refrigerate.
- Note: cooking honey for a longer time, or on high heat, destroys the healing properties of honey.
How to use this syrup:
The syrup can be used as often as necessary, up to every hour, until the symptoms are alleviated, however it is always advisable to consult a specialist to recognize what the respiratory problem we are suffering from.
- For children: 1 teaspoon
- For people over 10 years:1 tablespoon
The syrup can be kept in the refrigerator for approximately 3 months.
Add an ounce of brandy to the syrup in order to help preserve it. Adding the brandy also allows the syrup to act as a cough suppressant. Preserving with brandy will increase its shelf life to approximately 6 months.
- Feel free to experiment with herbs. For example, consider adding valerian for anxiety.
- Don’t have licorice root on hand? You can make the syrup, simply with the echinacea and ginger. However, you will need to increase the amount of dried echinacea root to 1/2 cup.
- Add 1/2 cup of minced onion to herbs and ginger to increase their medicinal properties.